Tietoja minusta

Oma kuva
Hello ladies and gentlemen, boys and grrrls, dogs, cows and other species, welcome to my shitty blog. Who Cares Right!?! is officially unpublished music fanzine by me. It concentrates on reviewing music. Our goal is to make people say "Golly jeepers!" to how much music can a 1 person take. Our dear mr critic, Fringe, will do all the reviewing. If he cannot do atlest one review in a week, we put him to a box, having nothing but gruel and mustard to eat till he finishes atleast the one dang review. His english may suck at times since he has no real education on it. He somehow learned english by watching Cartoon Network when he was little. He'll review everything from official albums to bootlegs, rarities and oddities... anything.

keskiviikko 10. maaliskuuta 2010

Review #8: Black Flag - Loose Nut


Year: 1985
Genre: Punk Rock

Label: SST Records
Tracks: 9
My Rating: 7½/8


In 1984, 4 albums were released in the name of Black Flag (Family Man, Slip It In, Live '84 and
pretty much their most famous record, My War). 1985 was the year when Black Flag really turned into more original and slower kinda sound. You couldn't describe them as hardcore punk band anymore. Either My War or maybe Slip It In would be their last "hardcore punk" album. Some people think Henry Rollins ruined Black Flag. No i don't think he did. Their slower stuff wasn't bad at all. Of course their most "legendary" songs were written in their early days before Henry joined the band. This year (1985) they would release 2 albums and one EP. Their first release of that year would be Loose Nut album. The artwork of the album was designed by Raymond Pettibone.

1. Loose Nut

Starts with really "odd" kinda riff compared to the stuff they're famous of. The first line of the lyrics start "Loose nut, in my head" featuring the both names of their 1985 albums. I think this song is about being unbeareably lonely and as horny as can be. "Crying for a human touch Or anything that'll reach my soul". Some people wonder why your down most of the time and just can't really ever understand why. It's because being rejected by girls for so long (or sometimes there just isn't nobody for you where you live). And you don't want to think about that all the time, because it isn't the most important thing in the world, but since thats still something new and mysterious to you, it bothers you alot of times. "A bolt of lightning between my legs, I can't think straight my mind's a mess, I only see straight when I'm being led". I'm not sure if you know what I'm even talking about, but I think this song describes that really well.

2. Bastard in Love

Songs become so much better when you know the lyrics to them too. Another song kinda personal to me. Every line describe so well of my point of view.

you keep waiting for the love that you want to feel But you'd never believe it when the tell you that Love is real, you keep wishing... but My love is real My love is real My love is real My love is real

It's one thing, which makes Black Flag one of my favorite bands ever. Love that guitar sound in this song. Black Flag always had a real good song-structure in their songs. Too bad their releases after My War and so on never got as popular with their old loyal fans as their old stuff did. This is really an underrated record. "There may be no right, and there may be no wrong, But there is pain, and it always lasts too long"

3. Annihilate this Week
I'm not quite sure what this song is about. I think love and confusion and anger. They repeat the chorus 4 times. After the second chorus, Henry sings a first and third lines and Kira (their bassist) sings the second and fourth lines.

I'm a smokin' and drinkin' thing

you're a regular social machine

I'm a smokin' and drinkin' thing

you're a regular partyin' machine

again I don't know if that says anything to you, but i know what that means to me.
This song has different types of guitar riffs through the song, still keeping it real simple. Really Motörheadish solo by Greg. I'm trying to think what sound would describe this song the best. It's like the mix of old Black Sabbath or Motörhead kinda sound i think.

4. Best One Yet
Starts with a bass line and drumming, which reminds me of the song "Slip It In". This record is really angsty, but in a good, enjoyable way. It doesn't annoy at all, because it's not about selfpity and that crap. It's about being angry and frustrated and wanting things to work out your way, but it just wont.

5. Modern Man
Really slow song and reminds me bit of old Black Sabbath again. Thats just how Greg's guitar riffs sound like on this record. After the riff fades away, a drum beat and bass kick in and they start going faster and faster and then the vocals kick in. Henry's voice sounds really awesome here also. Another song about being frustrated. Henry went through and was still going hard times with the band. Alot of great songs came out of that frustration. Henry sings about not wanting to associate with "the modern man". He never was into fashion and trendy bullshit like that. None of Black Flag was. They weren't fake. They just didn't need any of that. They had their own thing and that was so cool.

6. This is Good
Starts with a bass line. Have to say Kira is my favorite Black Flag bassist they had. Not just 'cause she was the hottest bassist they had or maybe the hottest bass player ever. Chuck Dukowski was great in his time with the band and wrote some of the best Flag songs. Kira's style and presence really fit well the band especially during this time. The whole band really seemed to "click" in this period of time. She really gave the band more "color" or personality. I know that sounds lame so lets just say she gave the band more balls. I mean she did have the 10 and a half. Really mad lyrics again "I smash fists into my face, i can feel it, when i close my eyes and this is good, this is good...". And when theres something you don't want to go through, because it would give you unwanted misery, but thats what you get and theres just nothing you can do about it, "I hate to want, you make me want to hurt you". This song describes those feelings well. Really fucked up solo.

7. I'm the One
I like the opening riff alot. It's noisy and a bit fucked up. This song has alot of cool and weird, experimental guitar sounds. The solo comes out of nowhere and is really insane. Theres actually two solos in this song. Cool feedback sound ends the song. The song is about not living for someone else, but to live for yourself i think.

8. Sinking

This song is about being as depressed as can be. No one notices you, no one calls you, no one talks to you, it's too cold outside, nothing to do, but stare the floow, it hurts to be alone. I don't know, i guess i'm used of life being like that, not getting along with people and can't living any other way, but wanting life to be different. Another insane solo.

9. Now She's Black
Starts with really slow bass playing and drum beat, quickly joined by Greg's guitar. Greg is really the black sheep of Black Flag i think. Not like if all of them were black sheeps in real life, but Greg is so different and diverse in his playing than the rest of the band. Or maybe i just think of that 'cause he gets to play guitar and do his own solos and he wants to... First i wasn't sure what they mean by "She's black". Black by being a black person or black like dark which can't be seen, so it's all a dream (hey that rhymes). "she's everything I have, everything i see" so theres really nothing, no one for you. But i think it's neither one of those options. Every single line in the song describe well of not being accepted by a girl, who you really like. No matter how much you'd love her, the answer by her is and always will be NO. Not you. Henry's screaming in the end is so heavy, that it makes me want to hit my head to the table or kick trashcans or go just simply go insane, get the frustrations out and ANNIHILATE!!!











Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Lukijat